I want to thank Transplanted Cook for nominating me to The Liebster Award. I was delighted to accept. The questions posed to me were as follows, along with my responses:
1. If you could invite any cookbook author to dine with you, who would you choose? (Don’t restrict yourself to live authors if you wish to invite someone from the past)
This is tough, but I would have to invite Amelia Simmons, who authored ‘The First American Cookbook’ in 1796. I’m fascinated with food history, trends, fads, and the evolution of cultures around food. I think it would be neat to hear her experiences in ‘the Colonies’ during that time period.
2. What are three things most commonly found in your refrigerator?
Wine, butter, salsa
3. You’ve been invited to travel to a destination of your choice on an all expenses paid culinary tour. Where would you choose?
Russia, including Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan. I have multiple cookbooks from these regions and there is so much diversity in this huge country. I would love to see the country, the people, eat the food.
4. You need to stir the sauce in the pot, which spoon do you reach for – wooden or silicone?
Wood, most definitely. I don’t like the silicone spoons at all.
5. If you could have a dish named after you, what would it be?
“Commingled Soup a’ la Jimenez” (made on ‘clean the freezer’ day)
6. What music (if any) would you play in the background for a romantic dinner?
Something by Bruckner.
7. What three essential things would you pack for a picnic?
Wine, corkscrew, cheese (in that order)
8. What is the one food you could never give up?
Cheese and wine (but I don’t know that wine is considered a food)
9. What is the best smelling thing you have eaten?
Chicken and olives with preserved lemons.
10. What is your idea of a perfect day out?
Coffee in the morning, a drive to Santa Fe to shop at The Spanish Table, Oleaceae, The Spice Lady and several other culinary shops, a leisurely lunch at La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe, driving back to Albuquerque and cooking a dinner based on a pre-selected salt from my collection.
11. What is your most memorable meal from childhood?
My Dad made a mean Beef Stroganoff and Caesar Salad and my Mom made awesome bread pudding.
In addition, I was asked to provide 11 random facts about myself:
1. I’m a Forensic Anthropologist
2. I moved to Albuquerque from Toronto in 1994 (a guy had something to do with it)
3. I just garnered the Guinness World Records title for world’s largest collection of cookbooks
4. People still tell me I say ‘ooot’ and ‘aboot’
5. I did a fair bit of travelling around before the world became a more dangerous place
6. I don’t read fiction….I read cookbooks
7. I’ve only had durian once in my life. That was more than enough, thank you very much
8. I love kitchen gadgets….can’t get enough of them
9. I really do use my 3,742 cookbooks
10. I collect and use salts from around the world, sometimes selecting a salt, finding a cookbook from the same country and plan the meal around it. A lot of fun!
11. Everything is edible if it’s chopped finely enough
So, to continue the circle, I would like to nominate the following blogs for The Liebster Award:
Should they choose to accept, here are the following questions to answer. Don’t forget to also give us 11 random facts about yourself!
1) What are your favourite herbs to cook with?
2) What food do you absolutely refuse to eat?
3) What are your favourite kitchen appliances?
4) If you won $10,000 on the Food Network show, “Chopped”, what would you do with it?
5) If you could choose one country, whose food you like cooking the most, which country would it be?
6) If someone said to you, “For your birthday, I’m going to import any food from anywhere in the world for you, and money is no object”, what would it be?
7) What is the most you would spend for a cookbook (new)?
8) Do you follow a recipe exactly, or take some ‘artistic license’, even if making it for the first time?
9) Have you ever made your own cheese and if so, what kind? Would you like to make your own cheese, if you haven’t already tried it?
10) Do you keep a stocked pantry (if you have some space), or do you just buy what you need for the next few meals? (canned goods, dried pasta, etc.)
11) What would your ‘dream’ kitchen be like?
If you accept the Liebster Award, in addition to answering the questions and giving us facts about yourself, please refer to all of the official rules at the following website: